Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The summer line up ....

I know that summer is just around the corner when I see this view. Our neighbors own and run several stands (lemonade, smoothies, fried dough, pretzels...), and in early spring they bring all the stands out of storage and start prepping them for the upcoming season. This is not only the beginning of their season but of flea market, yard sale, picnicking and fun season. Yeah!
Our sprouts are doing great. This is where they start getting leggy on me, but I'm hoping for better luck this year. As usual there is no way that there is room in the garden for all the seeds that we started. I anticipated a high casualty rate among my sprouts, and so far we haven't lost any. After listening to a gardening show on NPR I'm going to try Celebrity tomatoes this year. Our season is so short that Big Boys, Early Girls and Beefsteak haven't worked out. Brandywine is very productive and it tastes pretty good, but it doesn't have that strong flavor that I'm looking for. Okay, now that I've bored you with tomato talk...
The great weather has pulled me out into the garden, so I haven't been doing much sewing lately. I have started embroidering again though. I want to add some embroidery to my designs, and since I haven't done it in 25 years a little practice was needed. I'm not very good, but it's so much fun.
With the onset of gardening season and the new addiction to sewing & embroidery my poor family hasn't had a descent meal in ages. Last weekend I popped into the kitchen and cooked a Thai curry on Monday, and a stir fry with black bean and chili sauce on Tuesday. They were both tasty but a bit on the hot side. Eric took one bite of the stir fry and said, "Are you trying to kill me woman?!"... He did go back for seconds though, and he hasn't nagged me to cook ever since :)

No comments: